Is there someone you have wanted to collaborate with but have never been able to be in the same place at the same time? Following last spring’s Résidences à distance, the CCOV would like to invite you to apply for a second edition, called Relations épistolaires – Penpals. This paid project is intended to develop a co-mentorship relationship between an artist and another individual between February and August 2021. It is a proposal for a structured correspondence to exchange guidance, and interchange roles of knower and not-knower. This could take many forms (letters, audio, video). Penpal exchanges could be established between generations, sister communities, very different communities, or within one specific community.
Please apply with a letter of intention that describes the two individuals partaking in the exchange, and the organization of time, mode(s) and material(s) that you will explore. If you are selected, then you will be asked to partake in an exit interview in a format of your choice at the end of the 6-month project period .
The selected project will receive $1000 ($500 per participant).
Who can apply?
- Collaborative teams of two. At least one applicant must be a dance artist based in the province of Quebec.
- Choreographer to choreographer, as well as collaborations with other disciplines or non-artists are welcome.
- Be creative ! ☺
How does it work?
The selected project will receive $1000 ($500 per participant) to support their correspondence which will take place during the period February – August 2021, as well as for a short exit interview. Participants are responsible for deciding how their correspondence will unfold and what methods they will use. At the end of the residency, the CCOV will organize an interview in the format of your choice to reflect back on the project, and which will be published online.
How to apply?
Please send us in a single PDF document, a letter of intent of 2 pages maximum containing:
- A brief description of what you intend to explore during your correspondence. What method(s) of communication will you explore? What do you hope to come out of it? What form will it take?
- The reason why you are interested in the idea of co-mentorship and collaborating at a distance.
- Three links maximum to any material that may support your letter of intention. For video material: links to Youtube or Vimeo with password if necessary.
SEND YOUR APPLICATIONS AT email@example.com – Email subject : Candidature Penpals – Relations épistolaires.
How will the proposal be selected?
Selection criteria will be based on the need for co-mentorship and the relevance of the artistic questioning, as well as the feasibility of the project. Applicants are encouraged to take into account the particularities of collaborating remotely.